Labels

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Fish Sukka/Fish with dry gravy

Just the other day someone asked my dear husband about the food that I make. He was in a pretty good mood that day, so prompt came the reply…”O ya…my wife does make pretty good looking food!” and just when my face began to light up, he added in with a smile on his face ‘but not necessarily good tasting you know!!” and turned around to look at how I react. “Well” I said “if not the food, you at least love my art! Maybe henceforth, you should just look at it and appreciate it rather than eating it!!”So the point is that I am an art lover. I like to see art in everything around, may it be the buildings, clothes, landscape or nature. So of course I try to see art in the food I make. The colors, form, texture, presentation, aroma, taste…it has everything you need to excite your senses. I strongly believe that “good looking” food is as appealing to the tummy, as much as amazingly tasty food is to the mind! So even if it is a simple recipe, it is your creativity that will always be put to test before your culinary skills.

Today’s recipe is the simplest fish recipe that I have ever tried. Few ingredients, less prep time and good scope for creativity. Its my grandma’s recipe, passed down to me by my mom so it is definitely worth a try.

Fish Sukka/Fish with dry gravy:



1 Pound fish fillets - Tilapia or any fish you like (best choice for this recipe is Indian Surmai)
1 cup grated/shredded dry coconut – Suka khobra (optional fresh coconut)
5-6 Large garlic cloves
5-6 Medium Kokam/amsul
¼ Tsp. Turmeric powder
½ Tsp. Red chili powder
¼ Tsp. Garam masala powder
½ tsp. Lemon juice
2 Tbsp. Olive oil
1 Pinch red food coloring (optional)
Salt

For garnish:
Cilantro
Lemon slices
Onions – julienne cut
Lemon juice
Salt pepper
Kaoori methi (Can be replaced with Italian seasoning or finely chopped cilantro)

Method:
Heat 1 tsp. oil in a shallow pan and add the grated coconut and garlic. Roast/Sauté on medium flame, stirring continuously. Set aside and let it cool. Grind this mixture in a thick smooth paste by adding water as needed. Add all other ingredients, except oil, to this paste, mix well and apply a thick layer of this paste to the fish fillets. Marinate for about an hour.
Add 1Tbsp oil in the same shallow pan. Gently lay the marinated fillets with a thick layer of marinade on and under it. Cook each side for 5 to 8 minutes or till fish is ¾ cooked. Add a cup of water and simmer for 15 minutes. Set the fillets in a serving dish. Mix sliced onions, lemon juice, ½ tsp. kasoori methi, salt and pepper for garnish. Top with lots of cilantro if you like.

This can be served with white basmati rice, jasmine rice, naan or roti.
Cook well. Be creative!
-Sheetal

No comments:

Post a Comment